Hi, my name is Laura and I’m the Owner of The Good Life Vibe and I write the blog posts for our website.
I’m also a Life Coach, Mom, Wife, Sister, Friend and Overcomer.
You’re most likely here to learn about how you can stop doubting yourself or maybe get some motivation on how to move forward with something in your life and I'm going to do my best and share some of that with you today coming from an authentic place and from my experiences and perspective. I will be sharing with you 8 Tips On How To Overcome Self Doubt.
As a Life Coach, one question that I get asked the most is…“How do you deal with self-doubt?"
Well, I’ll let you in on a secret. It’s something that many people deal with so please know that you're not alone. I’ve personally dealt with it all my life and while I feel that I've mastered that emotion quite well, it does sometimes happen to sneak up on me and roar it’s ugly head and try to talk me out of what I want to accomplish.
What you may not know about me is that for many years, I allowed self doubt to hold me back. I didn't have the confidence to try new things and go after what I wanted.
Some days I would go back and forth in my mind on if I was ever going to accomplish anything worthwhile for myself because it just seemed like I wasn't good enough for anything I tried or wanted in life. I didn't understand why for some people everything seemed to come so easily for them and why they had been given all those wonderful gifts. If only I was ____ (insert weakness here...smarter, braver, prettier, etc.) like them.
The little devil on my shoulder who came to live with me as a child, would continue to remind me well into adulthood that I wasn't deserving or smart enough or pretty enough or good enough and blah, blah, blah.
and it always wasn't just the little devil but real life people that told me that I was all of those things too and guess what!?! I believed them.
All of those thoughts and fears come easy, especially if you've been raised in an environment in which you weren't always supported or you were made to feel lesser then. (If that describes your upbringing, I'm sorry! I grew up like that too so I get it!)
Deep down inside, I knew that I wasn’t where I was meant to be and those things couldn't be true. They had to be lies! Why would God make me to be that person? Why couldn't I be smart, talented, successful and all the other things?
I knew that fear, doubt and low self esteem were holding me back. UGH! I was reading the self help books, listing to pod casts, going to counseling and working with my own life coach and while all of those things were great and helped me tremendously to get to where I am today, I knew that "I" had to do something or else I was going to stay exactly where I was, which is where I knew I didn’t want to be.
I also knew that thinking this way and choosing to stay in that place, meant that I wasn't living up to my full potential and well, that made me unhappy because I knew that if other people could have things, I could too.
It was then that I knew I had to do something and I did!!!
I'm about to revel a BIG secret about self doubt that I learned though all of the work I did on myself.
Any emotion you experience or feel only has as much power as you allow or give to it.
So if you choose to feel like you can't accomplish anything, that you won't.
If you choose to feel like anything is possible, than it is.
You have to BELIEVE that anything is possible and you then become the master of your destiny and your life.
Here's what I did that helped get me to where I am today and things that I still do to this day...these 8 tips on how to overcome self doubt will work if you you choose to implement them.
1. The first thing I did was take action. I decided to do one small thing each day that would help me move me forward and give me the confidence that I needed so that I could work on the next step.
2. I also write out my thoughts and feelings in my journal as well as express them with my those I care about and my Life Coach. Getting them out and hearing from other people that I wasn't and am not all those things was and is really empowering.
3. I changed the way I talked to and about myself. No longer do I beat myself up or choose to describe myself in negative ways. I call that "silencing my inner critic."
4. I gave myself grace and compassion and still do with everything I do in life.
5. I no longer compare myself with anyone else. I am uniquely made with my own set of wonderful gifts.
6. I continue to do the self development and continue to work with a Life Coach.
7. I surround myself with people who support me, cheer me on and believe in me. The old saying that you are who you hang around is true!
8. I've set healthy boundaries with those who belittle me, who talk about me and all the other stuff that they do to try and make me feel inferior because they have their own self worth/doubt/esteem or narcissist behaviors. Some relationships I no longer have at all and some are at a distance. I refuse to let anyone destroy my inner peace and make me feel shame for being who I am.
As you can see, those 8 steps that I just shared with you have helped me become the person that I am today. Once I got out of my own way, that’s when I started to see success and started living the life I dreamed of.
Now I am smart, I am confident, I am successful and all the other things that I get to be!
You can be too!!!
Once you decide that you are in control of things and that anything is possible, things will get easier and better. Do the 8 steps above and work on them daily.
Decide today to change your life!
Decide today to tell self-doubt to GET OUT!
Decide today that you deserve to live the life of your dreams and you can be who you want to be!
If I can get through this, you can too. I’ll be here rooting you on.
Here's a reminder for you to save...